Saturday, December 3, 2016

Savoring and Celebrating Reinvention

It's that time of year again- beyond Thanksgiving and into the Holiday Season; Christmas has sprung! And with it the sights and smells and sounds we enjoy for a month every December. I admit, I like the season of fresh green trees (we always have a real one) and bright twinkling lights. I've especially enjoyed the last seven years celebrating and bringing its traditions to life with our son- who is still a true believer of all things Santa.

He's a train kid and as of this morning we've already seen The Polar Express twice in all it's holiday glory. We've been watching it for years- ever since he first called it "Choo Choo Moo"- short for movie we think. Every year he seems to notice new details and hears words of the story that become new to him. This makes his mother and I laugh quite regularly. We love how the story always seems to hold something new and vibrant for his heart. This reinventing never gets old. In fact, we savor it.  I think there are elements of the whole season that do that for all of us. Things get reinvented for us in new and magnificent ways at magical times of the year like Christmas.



For me it's the Christmas music. And specifically it's John Denver and the Muppets. Ok... I admit it- I'm probably a Muppet at heart and John Denver's poetry in song has always been worth repeating- the world misses both he and Jim Henson something fierce. Their Christmas collaboration from the late 1970's  has remained with me annually since I was a boy my son's age. This is not a review of that work (and it probably could be), but rather a bigger statement about how things annually reinvent themselves in powerful ways that keep us going- and keep our strongholds alive.

I have great memories of listening to the album I originally owned on LP. I sang parts of its magic for friends at my mother's New You club when I was eight or nine years old. I've owned it as a cassette and now have it on CD. I love pulling it out the day after Thanksgiving and giving it its full merry measure until I am finally forced to put it away- usually about the same time we go back to school and this year that's January 9th! So maybe I can savor it's magic just a little bit longer.

This annual reinventing is full of timeless words and lyrics and story that touch my heart each year in new and different ways. It never gets old. This year it's simple lines from The Peace Carol and Kermit's dream of a Christmas Wish. Moreover songs like When the River Meets the Sea and A Baby Just Like You bring the real meaning of the season back for me year after year. I'm sure the season's music and traditions do this for millions of people. I like the way traditions reinvent themselves for me and I'm really enjoying seeing that for with my son as well.

Reinvented Holiday Joys  and Traditions are keeping me going strong this December. I hope that's true for you as well. There's great magic in stories that stay with us and reinvent themselves year after year- magic worth holding on to and savoring and celebrating. I hope you're enjoying some reinvention at this special time too.

"If you believe in love, that will be more than enough for you to come and celebrate with me"- Kermit the Frog

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for this celebration. We Love John Denver, and may have rocked the drive home last night with a sing-a-long. Now that it's Christmas, I will be adding these songs to our playlist. Thanks for the reminder of this album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! and Happy singing. Hope it brings joy to your holidays.

      David

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh you brought so many special memories back to me. I could sing along with those songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sing away... I'm glad I'm not alone in my love for this music and its poetic voice at such a special time of the year.

      David

      Delete
  3. Hi David,
    I'm glad you wrote today. I, too, have a train buff for a son. We kick off each Christmas season with the Polar Express. We watched it last week, all 7 of us snuggled in the living room with hot chocolate and quilts.
    Merry Christmas,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. Earlier this evening we made run number three to the North Pole... I'm sure you get it. Thanks for providing a space for sharing celebrations. Writing and reading others thoughts has been a great source of inspiration in 2016. HAppiest of Holidays to you as well.

      Delete
  4. My 24 year old son was a huge train buff back in the day - your lovely post brought back wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so glad to know the memories don't fade completely and that the post brought them back for you. Happy Holidays- David

      Delete
  5. I am happy to read your post, David, and be reminded about Jim Henson and John Denver. If you ever get to Aspen, CO, there is a memorial park dedicated to John Denver with stones with engraved with some of his beautiful lyrics. My students visited there and sang in remembrance of him. I'm now re-visiting some old traditions with young granddaughters and that is a joy, as you're reminded us so beautifully. Thanks for a lovely post, and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete