Friday, August 26, 2016

Taking the Walk and Heralding Hallelujahs!

I recently was handed a unique book from author  Maira Kalman, called And the Pursuit of Happiness. Unlike anything I have ever seen the text of this "book" was thrown amongst bold hand drawn- hand painted pictures, cleverly juxtaposed in a way that looked more like my journals than "a book". And I was immediately sucked in.

Admittedly, after a few days, I haven't gotten very far. I'm not just sucked in, but stuck as well. Chapter one appears to a celebration of President Obama's second inauguration- but from an intensely unique point of view. It seems to take the author through a unique journey to joy on a very special day for them. The word Hallelujah is clearly the centerpiece of the celebration. It is prominently displayed on several pages and is used in a variety of contexts to describe the author's emotion on this her day of joy... and I'm fixated on it. Just riveted.

I turn the pages over and over, reading and re- reading. I imitate some of its ideals in my own journal. on multiple pages. and I begin to think.... I mean deeply think. Why am I so attracted to this word? And why now? (Admittedly, I'm kind of a believer in words and stories finding people when they most need them...but I'm truly puzzled by the hold this word has on me) So, why has Hallelujah found me? Why am I so instantly smitten?

Thoughtful curiosity took me to dictionary.com. Hallelujah is defined as a shout of joy, praise, or gratitude. Ok. Digging deeper, as I sometimes enjoy doing, I began looking for quotes that might help me better understand my fixation with this word. (I've even been singing Handel's Hallelujah Chorus in my classroom in the morning- so weird!)



Poking around, I find American author William Kennedy's simple quip, "There is only a short walk from Hallelujah to hoot." It too resonates. The more I think about it, the more I feel I got it...  that's it! The words offer me answer to my question.

For all the anxiety attached to starting a new school year; all the planning, and praying, and worry, none of my fears have really manifested themselves much. Instead, I feel like I've taken Kennedy's short walk. And I wasn't ready for it. But it's an unexpectedly powerful trip. Rather than picking up pieces and rearranging all that I was sure was going to go wrong in a year of many new mandates and firsts, I'm signing and dancing and celebrating all that seems to be going so well. And I think I wasn't ready for this... it's weird, but I like it. :)

So I decided to sit here on a Friday night and embrace it. Let's celebrate!

Let's celebrate great professional development opportunities that arrived just before the beginning of the year and giving great/ perfect food for thought as he year began. Let's celebrate wonderful co- teachers and colleagues who hold me accountable and affirm so much of the work we collectively do to make our floor the best in the building. Let's celebrate great conversations with students as they embrace our crazy routines and unique stories. They've been remarkably "ready" and well prepared. Let's celebrate new initiatives from central office that appear to fit in well with our thinking about teaching literacy without interrupting the flow of our own authentic style of instruction. Let's celebrate my son's great start to second grade and my wife's new found helpfulness in student services in her building. So much is going so well. I could get used to this.

While I'm sure I won't feel like shouting and singing every day of the school year, I'm going to hold on to and stronghold Hallelujah! as long as I can... hoping that it's pleasant beginnings and the musings in my journal will be remain retrievable reminders of what can be as things go right. I gotta believe their presence can be powerful enough to carry me through inevitable rougher days, should they ever materialize.

I'm hoping others out there have found Kennedy's delightful walk to start a new year too. I'm hoping you are experiencing bold, new,unexpected joys too! Hoot! Hoot!and Halelujah!


5 comments:

  1. David,
    What a beautiful post! The word hallelujah is stunning and it's connection to the simpler and perhaps more accessible perhaps more secular word, joy, makes me think. Hallelujah is an intentional announcement. A word of praise to the joy. Like eureka! Finding the gold.
    Thank you for your insight on this and your application of it across your school year where i'm sure you will find many moments to shout out your joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am a believer in words and books finding people at just the right time. I found my way to your words today. As I read I found myself making connection after connection with all I have that makes me want to shout Hallelujah! I have an amazing team, I am teaching the grade level I was meant to teach, supportive district, families! Indeed, "There is only a short walk from Hallelujah to hoot."
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much joy in this post. And I love the quote about the "... short walk from Hallelujah to hoot." Love that you're embracing your pleasant beginnings, and laying them up as fodder for future challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am retired, but your exuberance connects nevertheless. Now every September I remember the joy. I love the process of your thoughts as you considered "hallelujah", and am reminded of Leonard Cohen's song, too. There are many covers of it, but my favorite is by KD Lang, love Willie Nelson's recent one, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYiMJ2bC65A Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This: While I'm sure I won't feel like shouting and singing every day of the school year, I'm going to hold on to and stronghold Hallelujah! as long as I can."
    I am doing the same -- I love the firsts in a new school year -- but I try to hold on to that feeling as long as I can... and celebrating helps!

    ReplyDelete