Sunday, June 26, 2016

Stop, Rest, Notice, Delight

Summer vacation has arrived in the life of this teacher, and I was ready. I typically pretty deliberately take the month of June to recharge, thinking very little about classrooms and students and professional literature, etc. I reserve June for reading books I never seem to have time for during the school year. June is for getting up early, sitting outside on the deck, and immersing myself in history books and story. This June has been wonderfully no different, with one exception.

This June in addition to reading books and literature I enjoy "for fun" and my own high interest, my wife and I have been working with our six year old son on the challenge of reading his first chapter book. I have to admit reading with my own son is very different from being a teacher of reading. And at the same time it's hard to "not know" what I have studied and learning about what makes young people enjoy reading and what helps them become life- long readers.

He's chosen to read a Minecraft book. My goal was to be a dad and try to put the teacher part of me aside, except I am not succeeding. (and I've decided I'm not upset with myself about it.) I won't tell you this has been the best written book I've ever read, but I will tell you it's having a fun affect on my son. It's doing what books are supposed to do... and as a reading teacher, I can't help but see that. I just can't. and I'm having a blast participating in it. Let me explain.

Good books cause kids to think and dream and visualize. Books are suppose to expose to kids to new vocabulary and ask questions. They make kids into enthusiastic explainers and imaginers with lots of "what if" and "if/ then" realities, etc. I've had such fun watching this happen to my son this summer and I simply have no regrets understanding what is happening in his brain as he develops confidence learning to love reading.

I've learned more about Minecraft this summer than I ever thought I would want to. I know the difference between Rainbow Griefers and Creeper Mobs. I get why diamond swords are more valuable than iron ones. He's taught me so much as we work our way through each five page chapter. No chapter is complete without there stopping for explanations of words like "emaciating" that are new to him, but critical to understanding the story. I have seen Justin draw pictures and retell parts of the story that were of high interest to him. Because of all the conversation, chapters take more time to finish, but it's truly enjoyable time. It's been fascinating for me to see reading strategies come to life as a dad. Justin's learning so much in our slow, measured,, cognitive,  and thrilling journey through the world of Minecraft.

I suppose it's fair to reveal that this experience will ultimately alter and impact my classroom as well. It's made me really decide to add more literature to my classroom library so that my students can connect the "history" we are learning to story that I hope will be enjoyable for them. It's made me really consider using excerpts from good literature as sparks that will get students thinking about the "what if's" and "if/ then's" of the topics we immerse ourselves in. I'm confident my time spent in the world of Minecraft will have a splendid impact on my ability to continue teaching reading strategies and exposing students to new experiences as they study history. I'll stronghold some of what I have seen and make it part of my evolution as a teacher of reading.

I recently read a meme that simply said "Stop, rest, notice, delight".
What a perfect string of words to describe my June. As June has traditionally been a time for stopping and resting, I'm not sure I've ever unintentionally noticed as much and delighted in what I have seen. Next week we are pausing to celebrate getting half- way through our first chapter book. I'm thinking bells and whistles and high times when we finish chapter 8. I can't help but know what I know about what helps kids become book lovers, I just never though about seeing it happen as a dad and being so happy about it.

Summer reading has been a blast. It's been something I deeply believe in for a long time. What joy there is in including Justin as a part of my stronghold and perhaps even greater joy in recognizing that love of good literature doesn't only have to be a "June" thing.

10 comments:

  1. Reading. Books. Learning from your young son. Noticing inspirations. What a wonderful first part of the summer. As a lover of the "Story", you need to enjoy the stories of others and that is very much the growth in you that I am enjoying now. Read the YA literature and celebrate those stories to add to your wonderful love of the "Story."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are not only raising a reader, you are sharing the joy that reading brings you--with your son and with your students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love this post! As a reading teacher, it makes my heart sing! I love that you understand the effect of story and reading on people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I taught first grade years ago, and ended up as a middle school teacher. I've raised my own children, & now one of my grandchildren is an early reader. Doing it all over again is a joy, and seeing her eyes light up as she finishes a book is as well. I love your connections between your son's reading & your students, and that you will take new ways to approach reading into the classroom. "Stop, rest, notice, delight" says it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story to read- of fatherhood, teaching, and the joy of reading- and how they have come together so perfectly at this time in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a First grade teacher and the celebration of what you are learning with your son is encouraging to me. Mindcraft is BIG, really big with my "firsties" , it comes out in their conversations and in their writing. I do not know much about it and well, you know six year olds are not the most fluent explainers. So when you say both, that this is not the best book you've ever read AND that you learned more about it than you thought you would want to it gives me courage to brave the Scholastic Midecraft book I was given and add it to my summer reading. I have been an unwilling snob! Next year's firsties will probably want to write you a thank you note!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go first graders! what a great age! Good Luck with the Minecraft read... you'll enjoy how much your students enjoy it...

      Delete
  7. Being a parent and a teacher broadens your view and allows you to learn and teach in new ways. It was wonderful to read how you read with your son and how he teaches you about Minecraft. These moments are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. David,
    I like the way you write. I know that's the general kind of comment that we are not supposed to give as one write to another, but for now it will have to do. I like the way you write and I feel privileged to be one of your readers. Thanks for celebrating.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! That means a lot. I appreciate your blog as well and your passion for celebration. I am just getting started in this blogging thing... but have a lot to pour out. Your kind words are very affirming.

      Delete