Sunday, May 22, 2016

Genuine Appreciation for the Growth of Mockingbirds

"always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder"- E.B. White
It's in genuine authentic moments that I see growth from students that strongholds me through many of the difficulties and challenges that come with teaching. As school years close I find a few more of these reveal themselves, much like the true song of the mockingbird.
Recently I sat at my desk for a moment watching my students complete a group project. As I watched a young lady, perhaps the quietest of all my students, approached my desk. I admit I was surprised. I was surprised because she hadn't truly said five words to me all year. Talking out loud in a large group setting is just uncomfortable for her. But here she was.
The night before she had been inducted into the National Junior Honor Society along with a group of about 35 peers. As part of the ceremony and celebration teachers in my school are asked to write inducted students letters affirming their hard work. Juanita was there to say thank- you. I had written her a letter and despite the discomfort she wanted to say thank you. What a thrilling moment this was for me, not because she thanked me, but more because I understood how challenging it is for her to step outside her comfort zone, even to share some brief conversation. In turn I expressed my gratitude for having had the privilege of watching this young lady blossom as a student this year.
And blossom she has. She is a wonderful writer and careful reader. I know this because I have witnessed her development as a reader and writer. I've had the honor to watch her take notes and annotate text as part of her learning. I've had the great fortune to read her written words, offer her feedback, and watch her improve. She's really quite brilliant. Yet, while I experienced the joy of her these songs I worried her true voice was not developing.
I worried Juanita's words might never lift off the paper and into the air where they could be heard and shared and praised as they deserved to be. I worried that her words might stay hidden out of earshot and away from other voices that could further help her find even more to celebrate. So this first conversation, which lasted several minutes was a beginning and a gem. And I'm happy to admit has led to additional new music. Her song has finally brought joy to the entire class and I got to be there and present when she sang. Better yet, I'm confident she's found her voice and will continue to sing and that her world will be better for it.
As the school year winds down, take a look around. As E.B. White suggests if you look you'll find your mockingbirds too. Having witnessed mine will easily stronghold me into summer planning for next year. Sing mockingbird sing! Long live the legacy of this mockingbird's song and countless others.
 
 
The Mockingbird
by Mary Oliver
All summer
the mockingbird
in his pearl-gray coat
and his white-windowed sings
flies
from the hedge to the top of the pine
and begins to sing, but it’s neither
lilting nor lovely,
for he is the thief of other sound–
whistles and truck brakes and dry hinges
plus all the songs
of other birds in his neighborhood;
mimicking and elaborating,
he sings with humbor and bravado,
so I have to wait a long time
for the softer voice of his own life
to come through.  He begins
by giving up all his usual flutter
and settling down on the pine’s forelock
then looking around
as though to make sure he’s alone;
then he slaps each wing against his breast,
where his heart is,
and copying nothing, begins
easing into it
as though it was not half so easy
as rollicking,
as though his subject now
was his true self,
which of course was as dark and secret
as anyone else’s,
and it was too hard–
perhaps you understand–
to speak or to sing it
to anything or anyone
but the sky.

2 comments:

  1. We all need to drink from our moments of success. Our students are inspirations in their own ways, to our practices and growth. I applaud you for noticing your students. You know them and love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm confident she's found her voice and will continue to sing and that her world will be better for it." I love this line--both for its meaning and its craft. The mockingbird thread is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete